Each passenger is allowed one free piece of checked baggage weighing up to 20kg and one piece of hand baggage weighing up to 7kg. If you're not sure whether you need extra bags, have a look at our baggage allowances.
Buying extra baggage
When booking your flight, you may not be sure if one free bag (20kg) will be enough. Other times, you might want to pack light when you depart for a shopping spree and buy extra bags on your return.
You can purchase extra bags in 3 ways:
- Purchase extra bags when booking your flight or through ‘manage your booking’ at least 2 hours prior to flight departure
- R250 per bag, per flight payable by credit card only
- Contact Centre
- Call 0861 KULULA (585852) at least 2 hours prior to flight departure (Monday to Sunday from 7am to 7pm)
- R250 per bag, per flight
- At the airport
- Purchase your extra bags at the ticket sales counter
- R350 per bag, per flight
- Extra bags are not refundable after check-in. To cancel your purchase call our Contact Centre 0861 KULULA (585852) more than 2 hours before your flight departure
- If a bag is shared between two or more travellers, it must still conform to the 20kg limit per bag
- If you’ve checked in online please drop your bag at the bag drop-off counter at least 45 minutes prior to departure for domestic flights and 60 minutes prior to departure for international flights
Extra bags for British Airways flights
When flying with British Airways (operated by Comair) a hand baggage policy of 1 bag up to 7kgs will apply for all travellers. If you are flying in Traveller (economy class), you are entitled to 1 bag weighing up to 23kgs and if you're flying in Club (business class), you are entitled to 2 bags weighing up to 32kgs each.
For your British Airways (operated by Comair) flight you can buy extra bags at ba.com under "Manage My Booking" with your reference number.
Extra bags for international flights
Please visit the specific airline page or website for the baggage allowances that apply to your itinerary.
To make carrying and picking up easier, elderly folk and travellers with reduced mobility may split the weight of their free baggage allowance and travel with two bags of 20kg in total.
Carriage of medical aids such as wheelchairs and dialysis machines onboard are not charged for. Please call our Contact Centre 0861 KULULA (585852) prior to your flight departure to make arrangements.
You can also watch this video of packing 101 for a quick look at our baggage policy with how-to-fly guy.